Wednesday, May 4, 2011

How Great Thou Art (no more)?

There is nothing as refreshing as a walk in the forest, or when you sit still at the bank of a river with your legs dipped in the water, or when you are listening to a water fall. It is also refreshing to feel a breeze of the wind on the top of a hill and having a look at the villages down there. Nature is refreshing.
And that is why the writer of the hymn how great thou art captured the nature of God. I mean the beauty of a high mountain is exhilarating, the singing birds, the therapeutic brooks and such can only reflect the beauty of the creator.
The other day I was thinking on what will be left of nature to show the beauty of my creator to my grandchildren. I fear the rivers will have dried up, the beautiful indigenous forest will have been settled on, the mountains will have no more snow, the birds will have nowhere to stay so that they can lead us in praise during morning glory, the elephants and their trumpets will only be available as videos online. What will I tell my grandchildren?
The degradation of the beauty of our environment has an adverse effect on how God, who is the creator, is perceived. I know he is sovereign to create and destroy, but what about when we as humans become the destroyers. Are we not attacking the NATURE of God? And when the effects of our irresponsibility become destructive, how then shall we sing how great thou art?
How I take care of the environment is of great importance if I am concerned as how God is perceived by the generations to come. I may not do much, but I can do the best with what I have. Plant a tree or two each year, use water wisely, preserve the energy and just be a faithful steward.
It is so easy to blame God when disaster struck, and to start thinking of how cruel and evil God is to send us the floods and such, yet we could and can do something now to make sure the future ahead of us reflects the beauty of creation and the nature of God.

2 comments:

  1. I like the thought of "How will my grandkids know about the creative glory of my God" All they can see are houses, roads, green houses, big factories "all showing the cheap glory of man"

    ReplyDelete