Friday, February 25, 2011

Finding Rhythm

I don’t believe in formulas because they never work for me. I don’t know whether it’s because of the predictability or the rigidity part of the formula that repels me. And when I am talking about formulas, don’t mistake them with principles. I believe we can never bend a principle; we can only bend ourselves against them. But today am talking about formulas.

You have heard people talking about the seven steps to spiritual maturity, or six ways to the top, or ten things to do to spice your marriage, or four things that will blow your mind.. I kind of always tend to disagree with that way of living. I aint saying that those things can’t work, they do but not for me.

I have come to think of life as a great orchestra band. Each one of the things I do is a voice to this song; each activity is like playing an instrument that adds a sound to this band called my life. To make great music, the voices and the instruments must be in harmony. They are totally different, yet when arranged well, they create a rhythm and a flow that can be danced to, enjoyed and consumed to bring out freshness and relief.

And that is how I look at my life. I don’t need formulas, rather I seek to get harmony and create a flow out of my life to make great music. I look at all the activities and people that I get to be involved with in my life, as either a voice or an instrument that I need to tune and keep in rhythm as I create my music. 

Have you noticed how everything that is part of us is melodious? Look at the eye, they blink together, look at the hands, they swing in rhythm, listen to your breath, your pulse; they all have a flow, a rhythm.

That explain the need to create a flow from the things I do. Like I will take time to pray and meditate on God’s word because it tunes me to keep in rhythm spiritually. I will eat healthy, rest and exercise because I want to tune my body and keep the rhythm. I will take time to develop my relationship with my wife, because I want our lives to be synchronized. And so it is with most of the things I do. I want to keep a flow.

This doesn’t mean that my life is flowing so well, no. As a matter of fact many are the times am out of rhythm and off beat. But I start looking at which voice or instrument that needs to be tuned, and as I work on the part that is making the wrong sound, I find myself getting back to rhythm. 

Are you out of tune? I am sorry I don’t have a formula for you; I guess you just need to look keenly at the people and activities in your life and see how you can create a melodically harmonized life out of the existing chaos and noise.

Check John 7:38
38 He who believes in Me (Jesus), as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment