Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Do you know Zephaniah?

How many of you have read the book of Zephaniah in the bible? Let me see by the show of hands. I can bet very few of us have. But who wants to read a book that starts with words like I will sweep away everything from the face of the earth declares the Lord? That’s not the kind of words we want to hear. Zephaniah is one of the prophets and he was just doing his work, don’t take it personal.

I was just imagining when you get to heaven and then after shaking hands and hugging your favorite guys like Abraham and then Zephaniah comes over to say hi, what kind of conversation would you have? Hey, am Zephaniah, how did you find my book? Zepha what? Which book? For heaven’s sake, kindly read that book, and avoid such embarrassments in heaven.

Not everything we do will be noticed, but that doesn’t mean it’s not important. We have a culture that promotes feedback and rating. But one thing I have come to learn about feedback and rating, they have become a way of seeking validation. I have been a victim of this. When I do an article and I open my blog just to find ten page reviews. And at time I get discouraged and I feel like what I am doing is worthless. Or when no one comments on anything and I feel like am shallow.

I have also noticed how sometimes I want to be rated. What do people think about me and stuff? And then I got to think about Zephaniah, what does he feel when he sees most Christians have no interest in his book. I mean, when was the last time you heard someone quote from the book of Zephaniah?

What am I saying? Sometimes God will give you tasks and you will not have a chance to get feedback or rating. You will remain in the dark without knowing how you are doing. But that should not stop you or discourage you. Keep doing your assignment and leave the rest to God.

It’s like when you witness and share the word of the Lord with someone, and no one seems to ever accept Christ from you preaching to them. How does that make you feel? Remember its God who saves. Just plant the seed and God will water it, don’t concern yourself with that which is not important or within your jurisdiction. And when we learn that, we shall not water down the word of God to try and accommodate the world. We shall just do our part, knowing that Jesus is able to save people his own way, without compromising his word. And if you have been feeling like all you have been doing is fruitless, keep on keeping on. Be a faithful steward, your reward is with God.

2 comments:

  1. Good article; together with the others will make a very interesting book. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks @Wamupharm, will definitely put them into a book soon.

    ReplyDelete