Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Refining Furnace

Last night I had difficulties finding sleep. And so I kept my eyes open so that I could see* sleep as it’s passed by to my brothers room. He has the technology of finding sleep quite fast. I guess it’s because he sleeps with his eyes open. And as I was waiting, I had a chance to reflect on the matters that were in my heart. I don’t know if it’s just me but its kinda life is too fast I am forever catching up.

Last Monday I woke up and decided to pay mum an impromptu visit at the countryside and spend the whole day bumming around her fireplace. It was interesting because she couldn’t understand why I was not working that day and I kept telling her sometimes you spend a whole day in the office pretending to work and at the end of the day you realize you have done nothing. And I preferred a day spent with her. I had given up trying to catch up with the rest of the working nation.

My mum is one of the few people in my life that I get to be free with. And so I had a blast talking about this and that, about him, about her, about everything. She gets to have a way with stories. I can’t get enough of them. As we were discussing a disturbing matter in my life she mentioned; am going to translate it directly ‘the best gold is tried through fire’.

Last night those were my reflecting words. Why is it that, to whom much is given, much is required? I kept wondering. And why is it that the best gold has to be tried through fire. It’s because impurities cannot withstand high standards of fire. The refining process is through fire so that the final product can impress the smith. Unless the gold knows the end product of the process, it would not appreciate the furnace.

At times in life we feel overwhelmed by responsibilities and demands. We stretch to the limits and sometimes wonder whether it’s really worth it. We are always in a rush to catch up with the rest, trying to fulfill life demands and expectations. And sometimes we want to break down or call it quit. I know it. I have been there.

But I now understand that the process is worth it. If you are keen on the end product then you will appreciate the process. Whatever you are going through, whatever difficulties and challenges you find in your way, your responses will determine the final outcome.

Keep stretching, keep burning in the furnace, and always have this in mind. The best gold is tried through fire. And if you are afraid of fire, maybe you are just wood or grass. I know what I am; and I am fixated at what I am becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment