Monday, January 24, 2011

Where do babies come from?


Children are the most innocent and inquisitive creatures in the earth. Their minds are open to learning and into understanding the world around them. As they grow up, depending on the environment, some tend to become less inquisitive and their minds closes. While others will have an open mind that is eager to learn throughout their life.

The role of training the children has always been on the parent. But with the advancing in the modern family, the teachers have replaced the parents. Actually most of the children, learn very little from their parents. They have their peers to tell them like it is, their teachers to rush through the syllabus and outweigh them with homework and exams, and TV that is the center of conversation in most households, not forgetting we are in the information age, where children can google for answers.

Communication between parents and their children keeps reducing. What remains is when the child is asking for something, and some will even text or send an email to an ever busy parent. But we can't blame the parents, the workplace has become very demanding and the cost of living is also high. So we have to bring bread home.

Nevertheless, there is no greater teacher than a parent. When parents learn to share their stories, frankly and openly. When children have friends in their parents, to confide in and to just share their lives without the feeling of obligation, but because it is a way of life in their family. Sometimes, we protect our children too much, they end up growing crippled. And mind you, most of our parents have a wealth of experience, from social issues, economic issues to every aspect of life. And if only they were able to share with their kids, they can empower them beyond what they are receiving from school.

I am lucky to have had parents who were easy to talk to. When I was in eighteen, my dad actually brought me a pack of condoms to arm me. He could have been late, but I really appreciated his efforts. He was frank with me that things happen unexpectedly even to those who are born again. Especially since I was living alone. And as much as other parents would argue he should have been telling me how to abstain till marriage, he knew better having had impregnated a girl in his teenage life. So, his perspective was from his own experience and his own life not necessary the ideal situation. And honestly, if we didn't  have a close friendly relationship with him, I would have interpreted his good intentions wrongly, as if he didn't trust me, since he knew I was set to keep myself till marriage.

This is just an example of many other things I was able to receive from my parent's lives. Their struggles, their failure and such, and so when they gave an advice, it was easy to take it because I understood where they came from.

I am involved in the teens ministry and at times I feel sorry for some of the teens whose parents live in the ideals and who never share their stories with their kids. I know teenage life is complicated, but a wise parent will keep his or her children closer than try to push them away by portraying a perfect life as if they too didn't have complications when they were teenagers. And it is even more challenging now, because teens know so much than their parents give them credit for. To the parents out there. You have no idea what your innocent looking sweet baby knows. And whether you like it or not, that which you are not telling your daughter, someone is going to tell her.

Most children are tired of all the things money is buying for them. They want quality time with their parents. They want to know and feel that their parents love them, that their parents are proud of them, that their parents listen to them. But nowadays all we do is give our children pressure of what they ought to achieve and in case they are not achieving as expected, we ask them what they are lacking. (Material things). Sometimes all you need to do is encourage them, let them share what is going on and be there to listen without judging and then give wise counsel.

For some reason, children will always ask their parents where babies come from? For some reason, parents always tell their children babies are bought in the shop. The sad thing is, as our children grow, we never update them. And so they get to hear from else where and they lose their trust in you as a parent.

Anyway, my brother and I asked my mother where babies come from. You don't want to know what she told us. Talk about creativity!!

2 comments:

  1. Sure, a parent is a teacher, but a teacher is not necessarily a parent.
    My parents told me babies came from God-which I think is true. Only with time they could probably have explained some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anon, I must say your parents were real and creative. That was great! And thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete