Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Do I love my neighbor?

Today, I find myself wrestling with various thoughts on life. I find myself comparing the way life is lived out around me, and how I long for it to be something more. So many people live life under the constant pressure to keep up with those around them. It could be something as small as putting food on the table, and paying the electric bill, or it can be something that makes it looks like you have it going on, by having the best clad, or having the newest phone.


One of the things I find intriguing when I meet new people is that people sometimes get self-conscience when you ask them, "what do you do?" The question is vague on purpose because I like to hear what the person will say. Must responses quickly go to occupations? Others will talk about what they do in school or various other community activities. There are some people who have no problem with the question and give the quick response of their job title, there are those who dance around the question. They feel it is important to give a preliminary comment that either implies a discontent with the job or that it is just a temporary thing. For some this insecurity comes from the fact that their current job is not what they got their degree in, while others feel their job is less important than other occupations. Plus there are others who struggle with feeling that they are overqualified or under appreciated at their current employment.


To sum up my random thoughts here, I think what is at the heart of these reflections can be found in James. In the book of James, the author encourages us to put action to our faith. In James 2:14-17, we are challenged to meet the needs of those around us. "if a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warned and be filled," and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is it? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself."


In our busy lives, we must not forget to live out our faith. There is nothing wrong with having nice stuff, and buying things that you like. But if we forget about the needs of those around us, and aren't willing to sacrifice a little of what God has given us, how can we expect God or others to do same for us. As the body without the spirit is dead, and faith without deeds is dead, so also we become dead when all we look only to our own needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment